Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Exchange Students

We have decided to once again host an exchange student this next school year.  It is a really crazy idea.  Something I took to Gardner one day.  And I told him it was crazy.  But he says usually my crazy ideas end up being really great for our family.

It all started with that book I printed out from our time in Germany.  We would discuss all the experiences we had.  And then we would talk of Adrian or Sibylle.  Two great experiences we had.  Two great friendships that were made.  And of course, there was Nadine too.  But her experience was not as great.  And we barely have contact with each other. 

Anyway, we have plans to have the kids friends come over to live with us in a few years and go to school with us.  But that won't happen for a few years still. 

Then on Friday, Shantal came home with this booklet from school.  The high school handed them out.  It tells them about 5 different achievement awards the kids could earn for graduation.   And I want Shantal to go for one or two of them.  Most of them you had to take really hard AP classes.  I knew those would not be for Shantal.  If she got into AP classes, I believe her grades would drop drastically.  Anyway, there ended up being two that I believe Shantal could accomplish.  One has to do with foreign Language.  Take three years of Foreign language.  Easy, as my kids will be able to test out of the classes and get credit for them.  CHECK.  Then along with that, you have to do two projects.  One project you can choose was to host an exchange student and keep a daily journal of that time.  So, that is why we are looking into doing one again.

I contacted CCI, the exchange company we used when Adrian and Nadine came to us.  I got our application all sent in.  Our background checks were approved.  They just need to check our references still and then check on Gardner's employment. 

They already sent us a list of 5 girls to choose from.  Yes, we want a girl.  Since Shantal will be going into High School, we thought it would be better.  And of those 5 girls, two of them will be in the same grade as Shantal.  That excites me.  And of the 5, I have already crossed off three of them.  One of them did not like younger kids.  Another one was so fixated on Sport, working out, looking good.  I did not want that in my house.  I don't need to be judged because I am overweight or don't exercise as much as she might think I should.  Honestly, it just would not be a good mesh with our family.  But the two that were left, look promising.  We are trying to decide between Mareicke and Sarah.  On paper, I think Sarah is a better match for the family.  But Shantal really wants Mareicke.  And I love the name.  In the end, I have asked our coordinator if I could see pictures of them.  We used to see pictures of the kids 8 years ago when we got Adrian and 7 years ago when we picked Nadine.  It is like Hannah said, you can look at them and maybe get an idea if they are friendly or not. 

The exchange student will be sharing a room with Hannah.  Hannah has one of the biggest rooms in our house.  I designed it with her friends in mind to come live with us.  And we would not have to move anyone around.  I really don't want any of my kids sharing.  I think that will create more fighting than if someone is sharing with the exchange student.  And one of the biggest reasons I don't want the exchange student to have their own room has to do with Nadine. 

When Nadine lived with us, she isolated herself to the basement.  Hardly ever did things with us as a family.  Was always on the computer chatting with her family.  So my thought is, if she is sharing a room with someone, she is forced to interact with someone from the family. 

My kids are older now too.  And I hope that helps the exchange student to participate more in family activities and family time.  Family is huge for us.  And the biggest thing about Adrian, he was part of our family.  In every sense of the word.  He still calls me Mom.  And it melts my heart every time he does it.  He knows there is nothing I would not do for him.  We are still great friends to this day.  And that is what I would hope for from this next one we host.  Otherwise, it is just a waste of time and energy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment