Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Long Overdue Update

Well, I have had good intentions of writing over the past few months.  So many things happening and yet I never took the time to write.  I will try to hit the main points of things that happened over the past few months.  But I know I will miss some important things.  That is why it is so important that I write when things happen.  And yet, I am so tired all the time or I don't prioritize good enough.

For starters, Hannah had her first Gymnastics competition  here in America.  She did so great.  She ended up winning first place on the vault and the beam, winning 4th place on the bars and 8th place on the floor.  And for the all around, she took first.  She is on the Xcel team and competes Silver.

Then Hannah was supposed to have another Gymnastics competition the very next weekend in Park City, which is up in the mountains.  We had a very bad snow storm.  We left real early and was prepared in case we had problems getting there.  We did arrive a few hours early and got a call that her coach canceled the meet due to the snow storm and not wanting to risk everyone trying to get there.  Well, the problem was, we were already there.  So we left right away to try to get back home.  I got on the freeway and probably 30 seconds after you are on the freeway, there were flashing signs that said he had to have chains or 4 wheel drive vehicle to proceed.  I don't have either one.  So I pulled off the next exit and asked a cashier at the gas station if it was for just Semi trucks, or all cars must have chains.  She told me I could keep trying and it looked like other cars were making it through.  And if I had a hard time, I could pull off at the next exit.  So that is what Hannah and I decided to do.  Well, it was the worst decision.  The snow had come so fast that the roads were covered.  Cars and trucks were sliding everywhere.  You are going up to the Summit of the canyon.  It was stop and go most of the way.  I kept praying out loud, "Heavenly Father, please, just help us get to the exit and I promise I will get off".  We finally did make it to the summit, which is where the next exit was and I saw all the cars that were having problems continuing on going down the mountain now instead of up the mountain (hence the summit).  And I said out loud to Hannah, "maybe it is OK now going down.  Should I just keep going?"  She did not know, and replied, "maybe".  But then I said, "No, I promised Heavenly Father I would get off if he got me here, so I have to do what I promised him".  As I was getting off the freeway, only then could I see what was on the other side of the summit.  Those same cars were having problems going down.  And I was relieved I stuck to my word.  Ended up finding a hotel for the night and Hannah and I stayed up in Park City.  We went to the Walmart across the street and bought bathing suits and pajamas.  It was a great girls night out, even though we were forced for such a thing.  But it made me realize, that is what I want to do for my kids birthdays from now on.....spend a night away with them.

Two days after that frightening ordeal, where I seriously had a panic attack trying to drive in the snow in the canyon, Hannah had a birthday party.  She invited friends from her school over.  They called it a pajama party so everyone was in their comfy clothes.  They sung karaoke, did each others hair, ate spaghetti with hot dogs and laughed a lot.

The next day, February 26th, Hannah turned 12.   She is now a Young Women!  Crazy how time flies.  I remember when she was born.  I remember driving to the hospital to be induced a week early and seeing my doctor on the freeway as we were driving.  I remember asking for my epidural before they broke my water so I could be pain free.

And then, the very next day, February 27th, I flew to Germany to spend time with Gardner.  First I had a girls weekend with Cathrin DeWendt and Anja Kopal.  We spent the weekend on Norderney, a small island in Germany.  We played Settlers of Catan a lot, walked the island.... a lot, and I dealt with jet lag while I was with them.  Then, Gardner came to Norderney and Cathrin and Anja went home.  We got to spend 3 nights there a lone.  It was such a great thing to have together.  No one else there.  Just us.  It was like a honeymoon, that we actually never had.  And the best part, we did not have to pay for it.  Anja's parents own the Apartment where we stayed, and they let us stay for free.  Gardner and I also did a lot of walking on the island.  Ate a lot of pizza (Dino's Pizzeria is my favorite there).  But we also had a lot of down time each day where we just enjoyed sleeping, hanging out and talking.  Our last night, we went to the beach and watched the sunset.  We ate dinner outside in a "Strandkorb", even though it was pretty chilly.

We left Norderney on March 6th, Gardner's Birthday.  (The whole reason for my trip....to celebrate his birthday).  We stopped off at Uwe and Ursula Becker's house.  They were adopted Grandma and Grandpa for my kids while we lived in Germany.  They took us to Lunch and Ursula in usual fashion, made Gardner 3 birthday cakes.

At night, Thorsten and Cathrin DeWendt and Anja and Wolfgang Kopal, along with Gardner and myself all went to our favorite Mexican Restaurant while we were there to celebrate Gardner's birthday.  Casita Mexicana is what it is called.  It really is a hole in the wall type of restaurant, but yet so good.  Best part.....The DeWendt's and the Kopal's paid for our dinner.  :)

I also had breakfast while I was there with so many friends:  Anke Feier, Anja Biermann, Corina Backes, Carola Weinert, Nadine Klein-beck, Christiana Block, Rosa Seidel, Petra Kniep, Eva Hlova and Anja Schwindt.   I was so glad they were able to organize it so I could see so many people at one time.  My time was running short and I knew I would never get around to seeing everyone.

Also while I was in Germany, I was able to go to the church for a church dinner.  While I lived in Germany, I started an activity called Safari Dinner.  It is like a progressive dinner, only you stay at the church and eat appetizers with one group in a room in the church.  Then you eat your main course in another room with another group of people.  But Dessert everyone comes together and eats in the Gym plus play group games.  We did this a few years while I lived there.  So it was nice to be there while they did it again.  It has come to be a favorite among the Germans in Dusseldorf.

After I got home from Germany, I took the kids to Missouri for Spring Break to see Gardner's parents.  We were able to go to the dentist while we were there (Gardner's Dad is a dentist).  I knew Shantal had a cavity, so I had to get her in.  But little did I know, she had 5 cavities.  And I ended up with 4.  Then on Saturday, the day before we were to start our long (did I ever mention how long of a drive that is.....LONG) yes long drive back to Utah, Hannah got cut.  Pretty bad.  She actually probably needed stitches.  But we do not have insurance.  So I put a butterfly bandage on it and wrapped it pretty good.  After I got her taken care of, we colored Easter Eggs.  Mindy (Gardner's sister) came over and the kids did the coloring together.  After the kids colored Easter Eggs, we had a nice Easter Dinner (a day early) and did Raclette.  My kids love raclette.  While we were doing raclette, I found Ian lying in bed instead of coming into eat.  He had been downstairs playing with the kids and was fighting every now and then so I thought he was upset.  But he said his tummy hurt.  I asked him if I should make him some food and he said no.  finally I decided to get him a bucket, just in case he really was sick.  And really was sick he was.  He ended up throwing up from 4:30 in the afternoon until 2 in the morning.  A total of around 15 times.  It seemed non-stop.

As I am trying to pack to go back home, and dealing with Ian, all of a sudden, Hannah comes to me just crying.  She said she had pains in her stomach.  So I sent her to the bathroom where she sat and cried for a good 1/2 hour.  I got her a bucket and got her to a comfortable position on the reclining/rocking chair.

Back to packing and taking care of Ian I go.  And around 10pm, I found Hannah asleep in the chair.  I went to recline it so she could be more comfortable while sleeping and there it all came.  Hannah threw up.  Luckily for Hannah, that is the only time she threw up, as Ian was still going strong at this point.

Got everything packed, but it was hard for me to sleep.  Because every time I heard a noise, I jumped to help Ian.  Well, at about 1:45, I heard a noise again and jumped.  Only to find Spencer in the bathroom throwing up.  Spencer was up all night throwing up as much as Ian had done.

In the morning, tired as all could be, I decided we had to get on the road and start back home anyway.  Got 2 throw away containers from Grandma just in case someone had to throw up in the car.  And thankfully I did.  Because not even 1/2 hour into the drive, Spencer threw up. 

It was really an Easter and a trip that was more than I could handle.

We got home around 7pm Monday night and the kids had to be back to school on Tuesday.  And Tuesday night, our friends Rainer and Tanja Muller came and stayed with us for a week with their three kids (they have 5 kids but 2 were on their missions).  We had a great time with them here.  And I really enjoyed having a man in the house.  Rainer put Hannah's bed together, hung curtains in the living room, fixed 2 bikes, hung lots of picture frames and did other odds and ends around the house.  I was so grateful to have the help.

Hannah also had her State Gymnastics Meet.  Hannah did so well, she qualified to go to Regionals and be on the Utah State Team.  But, since her club does not participate in Regionals, she was not allowed to attend.  She took 2nd place in the all around at the State Meet.

Before we went to St Louis back in March, I took Shantal to take her Learner's Permit test so she could drive.  You are only allowed to take 2 tests a day.  It took a total of 3 trips to the DMV and finally on the 6th test, she passed.   She now has to drive 30 hours during the day and 10 hours during the night before she can get her license when she turns 16.  Her driving has really scared me and I am vowing I will finally get that grey hair a lot of my friends already have.  But I am glad she has it and we can get her prepared for when she takes Drivers Education in School starting the end of August.

Shantal and Spencer have also started working.  They both work at the Snack Bar at the Baseball Fields here in West Jordan.  They make pretty good money and the hours are good.  They both only work one or two days a week.  Spencer wishes for more.  But, it is nice that they have that opportunity.  It really just fell in their laps.  A lady from church who did not know us yet was at a craft night that I was at.  We were talking and I mentioned the ages of my kids.  And she mentioned she was in charge of the Snack Bar and if the kids wanted to work, they could have a job.  It is a great experience for them, that is for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment